Poisonous Plants For Dogs

Poisonous plants for dogs

Poisonous plants for dogs

At home, in the garden or walk, your golden retriever dog or puppy can be in contact with plants that seem innocent but could be poisonous plants for dogs.

It is known that the Golden Retriever dog and especially the Golden Retriever puppy tends to ingest anything he gets. Unfortunately, some flowers or plants, the most common, have toxic effects, from simple indigestion to poisoning and death of your golden retriever dog, and all dogs in general. What are these poisonous plants for dogs?

It is therefore necessary to recognize these poisonous plants for dogs to keep them away from your golden retriever dog or puppy, without forgetting that your dog or puppy can be able to rise up and catch what seems to be out of reach.

Some flowers and plants of the most poisonous for your Golden Retriever dogs are listed below. While there are other flowers and plants, only a small percentage of plants are really poisonous and dangerous to your Golden Retriever dog. Make sure to know which plants are most deadly to avoid your Golden Retriever from getting access to these poisonous plants for dogs.

Here are some of those poisonous plants for dogs which might be fatal to your Golden Retriever:

    Dieffenbachia :

Popular in many homes and offices; Dieffenbachia is said, in some countries, to ward against “negative energies” and “evil eye” etc. Because of this, it is commonly positioned on a “seven lucky herbs”. Dieffenbachia is poisonous plants for dogs. With both Golden Retriever puppies and dogs, contact with this plant (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense oral irritation, vomiting, nausea, excessive drooling and difficulty swallowing if ingested by your Golden Retriever dog or puppy. However, because Dieffenbachia is moderately toxic, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are easygoing, and can be successfully treated by your veterinarian.

   Daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) :

If your Golden Retriever dog or puppy eats or licks any part of a daffodil – the bulb, flower or plant – he will ingest an alkaloid called Lycorine This alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting) can irritate the tissues of dog’s mouth and throat and cause shivering, hypotension, excessive drooling, muscular tremors, Severe gastrointestinal disorders, dermatitis, convulsions and cardiac arrhythmias.

Ingestions of these poisonous plants for dogs can result in more severe symptoms for your dog. So if symptoms are seen or contact is witnessed with this plant, we recommend seeking veterinary help for your Golden Retriever puppy or dog.

    Lily of the Valley (Convalaria majalis) :

While lilies are well-known as a real danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic and relatively harmless or potentially poisonous plants for dogs or puppies as well as the Lily of the Valley. The substance in Lily of the Valley plant that is toxic to your Golden Retriever dog is called cardiac glycosides. This substance deemed poisonous to dogs will cause symptoms similar to digitalis (foxglove) ingestion. These symptoms include seizures, diarrhea, vomiting, gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia, tremors, a drop in heart rate, and possibly severe cardiac arrhythmia. Golden Retriever dog with any known exposure to this plant should be examined and evaluated by a veterinarian and treated symptomatically. So, if you suppose your Golden Retriever dog or puppy has ingested any part of a Lily of the Valley plant, you should immediately take him to your vet for examination. In this case, time is of the essence. So don’t delay.

    Autumn Crocus :

Autumn Crocus is known as poisonous plants for dogs. The seeds of autumn crocus contain active ingredient called Colchicine. This is the same ingredient used in a medication for Mediterranean fever and Gout. Colchicine effect works by reducing the chemicals elements that cause joint inflammation in people with these diseases.

However, Autumn crocus plant is unsafe for human and pets especially your Golden Retriever dog and puppies. It is especially considered a poisonous plants for dogs. Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnal) contains chemotherapy-like compounds that attack immediately dividing cells in the body. Ingestion can cause burning of the mouth and throat, diarrhea, vomiting, shock, nerve problems, liver and kidney damage, blood disorders, organ failure, respiratory failure, weakness and possible death.

There are two kinds of Crocus plants: one that blooms in the spring and the other in the autumn (Colchicum autumnal). Do not confuse the Autumn crocus flower, part of the Liliaceae family, with the innocuous spring one (Crocus spp.), which is not toxic and a part of the Iridaceae family. If you’re not sure what plant it is (spring or autumn), you must bring your Golden Retriever dog or puppies to your veterinarian immediately for examination. Don’t delay, signs can be seen immediately but can be delayed for some days.

    Hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) :

Hydrangea is a common garden plant that has a beautiful, colorful flower (e.g., blue, white, pink depending on the soil of the pH). Native to Asia and the America, this plant does contain Cyanogenic Glycosides, more commonly known as cyanide or prussic acid, with higher concentration in the flowers and leaves. It contains also small amounts of cyanide.

Hydrangea leaves and buds are poisonous plants for dogs particularly to your Golden Retriever dog. Puppies and dogs that have ingested the hydrangeas flowers have developed Lethargy, Vomiting, depression, diarrhea and gastrointestinal disturbance. Poisoning symptoms usually appear within 15 to 20 minutes to a few hours after eating the Hydrangea plant. According to several studies, serious poisoning is rare, and most animals who eat hydrangea plant suffer gastrointestinal upset.

It would be best to keep the flowers away from your Golden Retriever dog or puppy. And if your dog or puppy shows the symptoms after playing near this plant or you think your Golden Retriever dog eat Hydrangea, you should immediately consult your veterinarian.

    Oleander : Very toxic :

Oleander is an outdoor plant, popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers. This plant grows as an outdoor plant in California, Florida and other warm regions and as an indoor plant in the northern United States. It’s widely used as decorative evergreen shrub or tree in the dogbane family. However, Oleander is poisonous plants for dogs. Ingesting dried, fresh or leaves will poison your Golden Retriever puppies or dog.

If ingested by your Golden Retriever dog or puppy, Oleander plant can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea (with or without blood), cold extremities, tremors, mydriasis, excessive salivation, hypothermia, slow the heart rate, weak pulse, decreased GI motility, congested mucus membranes, and slow capillary response time; and possibly even cause coma and death.

The prognosis for the Golden Retriever puppies or dogs that have ingested oleander is going to depend on the time that has elapsed since the ingestion and the amount of oleander that was ingested. But the sooner treatment is begun, the better the chance for survival.

Note that many consider oleander plant to be one of the most poisonous plants for dogs, commonly grown garden. So, your Golden Retriever dog can also be hurt by oleander plant, even without touching it. Breathing burning branches or the smoke can cause problems, and merely smelling the flowers may be dangerous for your dog or puppies.


Similar Articles :

1- Golden Retriever Lifespan .
3- Can Dogs Eat Grapes Or Not?.
4- Golden Retriever Breed Standard.
5- Find Good Golden Retriever Forum.
6- How To Stop Your Dog From Biting .
7- My Dog Ate Chocolate What Should I Do? .
8- Golden Retriever Health Problems Issues.
9- How To Deal With An Golden Retriever Dog.
11- Worming / Deworming Your Golden Retriever Puppies.
12- How To Deal With An Aggressive Golden Retriever Dog.
13- Best Male and Female Golden Retriever Dog Names for 2018.
14-The Rabies Reality : Are Golden Retrievers Susceptible To Rabies
15- The Phases Of Rabies & Preventative Measures For Golden Retrievers
16- How To Remove A Tick From A Dog : Case Of Golden Retrievers